You will want to find a few things out from your insurance company before you schedule your colonoscopy. Below is a list of questions to ask them. (Click here for a list of customer service phone numbers for many of Utah’s large insurance companies.)
- Will my plan cover a screening colonoscopy?
- What is my portion of the cost? Will I need to meet my deductible first, or make a co-payment?
- If they find a polyp that they need to take out or treat, how will the colonoscopy be processed? Will that change my portion of the cost?
- Which doctors in my area can do my colonoscopy? Does it have to be done at a certain facility for the insurance company to pay for it?
- Do I need to get a referral from my regular doctor before I have the colonoscopy?