A colonoscopy is a very special kind of procedure, so it is very important you have it done by someone who knows exactly what they are doing. Use the tips below to help you find the best doctor to do your colonoscopy.
- Find out which doctors and facilities are covered by your insurance.
- Call around. Some doctors charge more than others.
- Look for a doctor who does colonoscopies on a regular basis. You may want to have it done by a gastroenterologist. This is someone specially trained to do colonoscopies. They do many more colonoscopies than other kinds of doctors.
- Ask how many colonoscopies a doctor has done. You can also ask how many times the doctor has made a hole in a patient’s colon. They shouldn’t make a hole in more than one out of every 500 patients.
- Find out how often the doctor finishes colonoscopies. They should be able to get to the very beginning of the colon 90% of the time. The beginning of the colon is called the “cecum.”
- Find out if the doctor can take polyps out. These are the small growths inside the colon that can turn into cancer if they are not taken out.